Dementia Mural – Flower Shop Activities
Dementia Mural – Flower Shop makes activities easy
As with all Find’s murals, the Flower Shop Dementia Mural and Artificial Flower Display is recognisable and creates a clear destination point. However, Find aim to go so much further than making a wall look great.
To compliment the Flower Shop mural, Find can supply a Artificial Flower Display unit that includes three flower buckets with a range of several types and colours of floral arrangements.
This is a great start; however, the shop is not a picture, but should be as true to life an experience as possible.
The area must be kept stocked, ideally there should be a focus on seasonal flowers to help with orientation. Depending on space available, a counter can be added. Other items can be available too such as birthday cards, balloons, and decorations.
We display flowers in our own homes, often seasonal – daffodils in Spring are a perfect example. Flowers are always present at weddings – the bouquet, posies, buttonholes, and table centrepieces. They are always carefully chosen to suit our tastes and colour preferences.
You can learn a lot about a person by their choice of flowers and can open up conversations and link very well to reminiscence.
Dementia Mural – Flower Shop Activities:
- Conversation starters on a daily basis. Every person is different, some will go directly to the shop and their favourites blooms, others can be directed there. Do not forget to include any valuable information in the person’s care plan.
- If a person is agitated or distressed, a carer can take them to the shop and suggest choosing flowers for their bedroom, arrange a centrepiece for a dining table or coffee table, or arrange in a vase the reception. For many, this would be a meaningful task and something they could take pride in.
- Flower arranging activity sessions – great for social interaction as well as engagement with the environment. These sessions can be seasonal – Valentine’s Day for example
- Everyone could be taken to the shop to collect a red rose, a chocolate heart, and a home-made card.
- Making door wreaths for Christmas is an excellent activity in the build up to the big day and helps with orientation
- Making Easter bonnets (ideal for flower or hat shops) is fun
- Make items to sell in the shop – cards and lavender bags are easy
- Planting bulbs – daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths. These can all stay inside and also be transferred to a patio when the weather is warmer.
- If you plant flowers in the garden, these could be picked and added to the flower shop display.
These are just a few suggestions but encourage your staff to be creative and they will have other ideas too. Consider ideas for group interaction and others on a very person-centred basis. Finally, include dedicated events in your activity planner